For information about contraception, pregnancy options and sexual health in Victoria


Photo of a uterus model on a yellow background

Endometriosis is a chronic inflammatory condition, where endometrial-like tissue grows outside the uterus.

In Australia, it affects 11.4% of people with a uterus. It can be a long-term condition, and 95% of people will need a surgical procedure. Diagnosis is often delayed by 5 or more years; this delay can cause increased symptoms, distress, and severity of disease.

What are the symptoms of endometriosis? 

Endometriosis is usually a long-term condition, and almost all people with endometriosis will have period pain and chronic pelvic pain. Endometriosis can affect you physically, sexually, psychosocially, and emotionally. 

What can I do if I have symptoms of endometriosis? 

Specialist care is available for people with suspected or confirmed endometriosis. See your GP, Sexual and Reproductive Health service, or Women’s Health service if you have symptoms of endometriosis. They can refer you to a specialist clinical team, which could include a gynaecologist, specialist nurse, pain management team, women’s imaging service, and fertility specialist. 

What will happen when I have an appointment? 

The doctor or nurse will feel your abdomen to check for any masses, pain, and any enlarged internal organs. Sometimes they will want to do a vaginal examination. You will be asked to keep a diary of your pain symptoms. 

How is endometriosis treated? 

There are several ways to treat endometriosis. Decisions for your treatment will depend on what works for you. These treatments include: